Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"Survivalist" explained

I have had some feed back on my use of the term "survivalist" in a the "Back to nature..." blog entry. Unfortunately, the word has come to have some negative connotations in the last few years. For many people the term conjures up images of camouflage wearing para-military types running around the deep woods of the western US preparing for some apocalyptic future there paranoia has conjured up. Let me assure you, I am not one of them.

The term, as it applies to me and others like me, refers to something a whole lot more main stream. We believe that it is only good common sense to be prepared to survive any of a number of disasters, both natural and man made, that can and do occur every day. One need look no further then New Orleans for a prime example.

There is a very good article on Wikipedia that I refer you to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism

Hope this clears up the confusion, and, oh yea...how prepaired are you???

No comments: